Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Research Proposal

For my research paper I am thinking about looking into the costs, methods, expectations and new policies concerning becoming a doctor. This topic interests me because this is the career I have chosen to pursue, and this will help me understand the processes of medical school. Right now its hard to know what to look into as far as research, but I was thinking of interviewing my oncologist, I think she would be a great source, because she works for children's hospital in Minneapolis, and they partner with the University of Minnesota Medical school where I received treatment.
     Another way I might like to take this essay is to show my experience with treatments and cancer, and how that has lead to my interest in Medicine. Someday I hope to be researching treatments for cancers. In my case I was diagnosed with a Wilm's Tumor at the age of ten, this was very rare since the tumors are usually found at the ages three to four.  Because of this my parents were asked if the hospital would let me be in a research study, which I just recently thought about now, (clearly I had other things to worry about at that time) now that I think about it I'd really like to know what they found.   One of the other reasons I like the idea of researching Wilm's Tumor/Cancer, is that there has been more research on the subject, for example there are studies for the long term effects of cancer treatment; radiation and chemo. These treatments might be putting you at risk for other cancers as you age or other health issues. So I'd like to explore this research and see if there are any new ideas or proposed solutions.

1 comment:

  1. I think the final product is going to depend on how the interview goes, but you could very easy construct a full rich essay out of either option - cost of becoming a doctor, or Wilm's tumor --- I'd recommend starting with the broad knowledge, doing your interview, and then letting that final form be dictated by what you get from it.

    I'm especially curious, on the second option, of what (if any) health, social, emotional effects there are to a child who has a Wilm's tumor at 3-4 vs 10 vs a child who never has it at all.

    ReplyDelete