Friday, February 7, 2014

TED Talk Five Topics

  • My first thought was to do my TED talk on the early release Wednesdays, it would be an argumentative piece, where I would show how they are inefficient and could be done as two hour late starts instead. This would make it easier on the students and parents with young children, and it would be better for students in athletic and academic after school activities because they would start at the same time. Parents with young kids would need to make arrangements to supervise them, because they will still be getting home at the regular time, its an inconvenience. As far s student athletes and coaches it would be more efficient for a two hour late start because there are two hours that could be spent practicing but they cannot due to regulations against this. 




  • Skiing is another option for my TED Talk. I have been on the team for five years now and have loved it. I'll do it for the rest of my life,  I met quite a few new people, and got to know all of them, we are more like a family than a team, we support each other and share goals and work hard to achieve them. I will really miss everyone next year. I guess the purpose would be to show how hobbies can impact your life.


  •    Yet another idea of mine involves school, it has to do with adding days on to the end of the year for going over our built in snow days.  I think it is pointless and stupid to add on days to our school year only to make them up in a different semester or term than we lost them in.  A new rule  should be made to extend the term if we go beyond our built in snow days, that way we don't loose a day, and have to cram everything in before the "calendar" term ends. I understand that we are mandated by the state to get in so many hours of school per year, but extending a semester that we did  not miss a day in is pointless.




  •   I am thinking of writing on my experience with cancer, and how it has shaped me into the person I am today.  When I was ten I was diagnosed with Wilms Tumor, which is a cancer of the Kidney.  I was driven by ambulance to the cities where they removed my kidney, and the tumor, I then went through a year of radiation and chemo therapy, only to have a relapse in sixth grade. I got to know hospitals pretty well and I saw first hand what doctors and nurses do to help; anything they can.  That's what I want to do, help people and I've decided to pursue a career in oncology myself to help kids cancer.
\
  • My last idea involves skiing but this time I would be writing to encourage my team and thank my wonderful coach.  This year I was the captain of the girls ski team and since then I had just skied and raced, but this year was different I realized all the sacrifices and time and effort my team and coach had made, and I couldn't possibly not recognize all their support and all they have done, because in the end after all the competition and practice I know I tried and its not all about winning. Its about not giving up and being the best you, and I never would have recognized this with out that encouragement from my coach and teammates.


    






3 comments:

  1. I personally enjoy narratives and the stories behind them. I think it would be super interesting to hear about your skiing career mainly because I don't know much about the sport of cross country skiing. I like the idea of talking about how it impacted your life. I had a similar idea of doing volleyball. We all have different interests and experiences so I think it would be fun to hear about yours especially in such a unique sport.
    Have a good rest of your weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see a thank you speech relating to skiing. What's the process of it, what's the allure of it, and how has it changed you for the better? That would be such a wonderful narrative to see in action. You could weigh the risks vs. the rewards, but in the end lay it out in terms of the great skills and relationships you've gained.

    I also really like the personal narrative on cancer, for similar reasons. Also, though, I love idea of you taking this as a narrative, and making that the main thrust, but also building a compare/contrast of your experience vs. the norm, how it changed your views on life/influenced who you are, and how it's influenced your family dynamic.
    - also, it strikes close to a research essay you'll be doing next term involving interviews and research. So doing it as a speech now would help you grapple the idea of it and continue refinement.

    Your idea on the early release days is also good. You can compare what they're trying to do (I bet a lot of people in administration would love to talk to you about our stated goals with those early release days) to the reality that you live through as a result.

    I get the feeling that your heart is in those personal narratives though, and both of them look meaty for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that doing any argumentative topic like the early release days or extending the school year would be a good topic. You could explain the advantages and disadvantages of early release days or to adding extra days on to the end of the school year. You could also argue that these two issues are not the right way to go by giving reasons, or examples why they might not be efficient.
    I really like your idea on cancer. Since you went through this at a fairly young age, you could make it into a narrative and talk about how it shaped the person you are today.
    A narrative based on your experiences with skiing would also be interesting. Narratives are always an easy way to grab a person's attention, especially when the audience is not familiar with something. Since I don't know much about skiing, it would be really cool to hear about how it has impacted your life and what it is like to be in the sport of skiing!

    ReplyDelete