Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thesis and Rough Outline for TED Talk

     I've decided to do my talk on cross country skiing, and my goal and later a perfected thesis would be to show how skiing has shaped who I am today. To accomplish this I see myself using the purposes Narrative, Exemplification, and cause and effect. I would use Narrative to tell why I joined skiing and a few skiing memories, this also fits with Exemplification , but the focus there would be to show the different events ( and proof ) of how I was effected by skiing.  There is some carry over into Cause and Effect as well, I'm having difficulty separating them.
  
      My intro would include why I joined skiing and background info on me, so I could later demonstrate the change for cause and effect. I would like to tell you all about what skiing is and what it involves and maybe demonstrate , but I do not know where to fit it in, because I feel like it would break up my speech and make it really choppy.
      I would like to cover my experience and struggles with skiing, I would talk about races and practices, and how skiing is a very physical sport but also a mental sport, as in its not hard to deal with people passing you, and its hard to tell your self to keep going, and in my personal experience, comparison to others.
     Then I would get into how that was changed by my coaches and one of the senior captians, Bailey Drewes. I would talk about the advice and encouragement they have me, and how that gave me hope and motivation.
    My next point would focus on other races and practices and how I was able to think of myself and ski to my ablitiy and keep going.
    Next I would talk about this year being captian, and how my coaches and Bailey shaped how I decied to lead my team, and my belif, and goals.
My last and ending point would explean how its really the people who helped me discover what I can do and my own limits, and how thankful I am to all of them.


I know this needs a lot of fine tuning and reconstruction, and any advice or anyting you think I should add or you want to know feel free to post.
    Thanks

1 comment:

  1. I really your ideas and it seems that you have a pretty good idea of how you want the order of your presentation to go. I personally don't know much about skiing at all so it would help me if you could demonstrate it and all that it involves. Maybe a good spot for this would be right away in your introduction.
    When I think of skiing I mainly think about the physical strength that it involves so looking at the mental strength that you build up would be a cool side to focus on.
    I also think focusing on the encouragement you got from your previous captain shaped how you act as a captain is a good idea too. Maybe you could go further into it and talk about how the characteristics and values you learned through cross country skiing has shaped you more than just how you lead your team such as the hard work and dedication you learned to apply to other situations that you face in life.
    Your order of topics you want to cover flow into each other really nicely. I’m really excited to hear your talk and learn more about cross country skiing!

    ReplyDelete